Information for Local and Self-Published Authors
For emerging authors hoping to get their books in the store, please read the following guidelines regarding our policies.
- Please make an appointment in advance. We would like to speak with you regarding your work and the best way to market it, however, because we are in a retail environment appointments MUST be made in advance. We will be unable to speak with you without an appointment. Request an appointment via email@example.com
- Review copies provided to the store become the property of Jan's Paperbacks.
- Please provide us with the following:
Pricing (retail and wholesale)
Contact information for author
Web address for author and/or book
A copy of or synopsis of the book
List of other retailers stocking the title
Advertising/marketing undertaken by the author
Events and gatherings executed or scheduled
JPEG image of cover art for web use
- Please review our consignment policy below prior to meeting.
- Self-published books are taken on a consignment basis only until a proven sales record is established.
- Wholesale and retail costs of the book will be established upon acceptance of the book. Typical mark-up from wholesale is 40 percent.
- Jan’s Paperbacks will stock the title for six months, reordering when necessary.
- Jan’s Paperbacks will list the title for sale on our website in the local authors section. Authors MUST link to Jan’s Paperbacks’ website from their own web site(s).
- If the book sells within the allotted six-month time period, payment will be made.
- If the title does not sell, it will be returned to the author via USPS at an address furnished by the author. If an alternative method of shipping is desired, the cost will be incurred by the author. Books may also be picked up in person.
- The basic handling fee for consignment books is $25, which directly covers promotional costs that traditional publishers enjoy at Jan’s Paperbacks. Checks should be made to Jan’s Paperbacks and paid upon acceptance of your book.
Tips for a successful consignment
- Encourage your friends, family and other contacts to purchase your book at Jan’s Paperbacks or through our web site.
- Contact local media and mailing lists to let them know that the book is available at Jan’s Paperbacks.
- Send out press releases, review copies and other promotional materials.
- Get involved with bookclubs, libraries and other community organizations. Greater success comes from a wide array of author-coordinated promotion.